The Best of the Blogosphere
The latest from a few of our favorites:
Wonkette: a variety of edgy commentary
- WTF, Was Paul Manafort Spying ON THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN For Russia? WE HAVE NO IDEASo which is it, Trump? Are you a victim dupe who got spied on? Or was all this nonsense Trump-approved?
- Advice For Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen, From Wonkette’s Jewish MotherHappy New Year Michael Cohen, you nudnik! Also it's your OPEN THREAD!
- Former Teacher Implores Nation To Look On The Sunny Side Of SlaveryLogic: If John C. Calhoun believed slavery was good, it must be true!
- Ever Had A Baby? Pay An Extra $17,000 Per YEAR For Healthcare, Because Barack Obama Is BlackNobody's health insurance is safe.
- An Argument About Nerds And The KKK Taken As Seriously As It DeservesGuy fired by Google would like to take a moment to prove Google ONE MILLION PERCENT RIGHT.
- Do You Think Trans Kids Are ‘Satan’s Plan’? Congrats, You’re A Trump Judge!Jeff Mateer, Trump judicial nom, also LOVES conversion therapy.
- HILLARY CLINTON ADMITS CONSPIRING WITH PIZZAGATE CHILD DUNGEON PIZZERIA!!1!Everything's coming up pizza!
New Civil Rights Movement: news and opinion focused on issues that affect the LGBTQ community
- Trump Just Flat-Out Wrong and Straight-Up Lying NowGraham-Cassidy 'Would End the Current Health Law’s Guarantee That Sick People Won’t Pay Higher Premiums'
- Manafort Offered 'Private Briefings' on 2016 Campaign to Russian Oligarch Closely Tied to Putin'Black Caviar' • Possible 'Pay to Play' Scheme?
- REPORT: Special Counsel Now Targeting Trump's Behavior in the White HouseFirings of Flynn and Comey, and Russians in Oval Office Among Turmp's Actions Being Scrutinized
- Watch: Ellen DeGeneres Tells Megyn Kelly She Refuses to Allow Donald Trump on Her ShowEllen Says Trump Is 'Dangerous – for the Country, and for Me Personally as a Gay Woman' and 'To the World'
- Melania Trump Condemns Bullying at UN Luncheon – Internet ExplodesFirst Lady Urges World Leaders to 'Live by and Honor the Golden Rule'
- Trump Judicial Nominee Says Transgender Children Show 'Satan's Plan Is Working''We're Back to That Time Where Debauchery Rules' Says Jeff Mateer
- Trump Cabinet Secretary Chartered $25,000 Plane for Trip That Could Have Cost $46Secretary Tom Price Just Last Week Spent $60,000 on Private Planes at Taxpayer Expense
- Jimmy Kimmel Scorches GOP Senator Pushing New 'Health Care' Bill: 'Bill Cassidy Just Lied Right to My Face''Stop Using My Name, OK? Because I Don’t Want My Name on It' Kimmel Tells GOP Senator
- US Senator Sarcastically Mocks White House: 'Freaking Fantastic' They Don't Know How Insurance WorksTop White House Advisor on Economic Policy Needs a Few Lessons
- Trump Is Using Campaign Donations to Pay His Legal BillsTrump Attorney: 'That's None of Your Business'
- Roy Moore Defends His Use of Racist Slurs by Claiming They're From the Bible. (They're Not.)'This Is the Gospel' Moore Claims. He's Wrong.
- 'No Question' Russia Interfered in the US Election Says Trump Nominee to Be Ambassador to RussiaNominee's Remarks Are in Opposition to President Trump's
- Sebastian Gorka and Sarah Palin to Headline Rally Supporting Anti-Gay US Senate Candidate Roy MooreFormer Trump Supporters Support Extremist Candidate Trump Opposes
- 'Rocket Man Is on a Suicide Mission': Trump Threatens to 'Totally Destroy' North Korea (Video)Trump Attacks North Korea, Iran
- Kellyanne Conway and Donald Trump Jr No Longer Have Secret Service ProtectionTrump Jr., Wife, and Conway No Longer Protected
- Bill O'Reilly: 'There Was No Reason' I Was Fired From Fox News 'There Was No Reason' Given by Fox News for His Firing, O'Reilly Claims
- The Manafort Bombshell – What We KnowFederal Government Wiretapped Paul Manafort
- Trump Says He Wants to Hold a Military Parade on Independence Day. Twitter Has Some Suggestions.'We May Do Something Like That on July Fourth in Washington Down Pennsylvania Avenue'
- CNN: 'Hillary Clinton Just Floated the Possibility of Contesting the 2016 Election' – But Did She?There Is a Difference Between Questioning the Legitimacy of an Election and Contesting It
- Sean Spicer Now Says He Regrets Criticizing Reports Showing Trump's Inauguration Crowd Size Was Smaller Than Obama's'Of Course I Do, Absolutely' Spicer Now Says, Sans an Actual Apology or Admission of Guilt
Scholars and Rogues: a diverse band of political and social analysts, activists, jesters, and troublemakers
- Can the Caribbean survive?What will the islands and the Atlantic and Gulf coasts look like in a generation? I’m not a climate expert, so I want to tread cautiously here. That said, our recent spate […]
- Donald threatens nuclear war against North Korea at the UNIs it just me, or did Donald threaten to nuke 25 million North Koreans yesterday, before the UN, a body created specifically to reduce the risk of a nuclear World War III?
- Your Daily Devotional for September 20, 2017Looks like we’re going to spend another week just as our founding fathers intended: calling our senators and begging them not to kill us. Your Daily Devotional is a lightly-edited entry from […]
- Your Daily Devotional for September 19, 2017Dance like no one is watching. Love like you’ve never been hurt. Tweet like a fluorescent orange moron with tiny hands and no impulse control. Your Daily Devotional is a lightly-edited entry […]
- Just a small tree…
- A brief aside about butterfliesOn my way from my car into my office this morning, I got buzzed by a butterfly. Nearly having a beautiful flying insect land on my face pulled me out of my […]
- Your Daily Devotional for September 18, 2017Please check out my kickstarter to buy Bernie a comb. Your Daily Devotional is a lightly-edited entry from my Twitter feed. Follow me at @jefftiedrich
- ‘Our Memory Like Dust’ live read in Bath SpaI was guest of Stephen Andrews and the Hardwired science fiction book club at Waterstones in the beautiful city of Bath Spa on 13 September 2017. I read from Our Memory Like […]
- I Me Mine: George Harrison’s non-autobiographical autobiographyOnly about 80 pages of I Me Mine are given over to George’s conversations with Derek Taylor. The rest of the book is devoted to Harrison’s songs. For the serious Beatle or […]
- Into the wild blue night
Climate Denial Crock of the Week: Peter Sinclair, a long time advocate of environmental awareness and energy alternatives
- Stripping and Selling AmericaGet real clear on this. The Republican Party has made common cause with the global fossil fuel industry, with Russian Oligarchs, and with the violent White Supremacist right wing, in order to make war on the very idea that there can be any institution, any interest, any law, that limits the greed or the reach […]
- How Climate Change can Make Hurricanes ExplodeWashington Post: “Maria is developing the dreaded pinhole eye,” wrote National Hurricane Center forecaster Jack Beven on Monday evening, as the storm reached Category 4 intensity. That inward contraction of a hurricane’s eye can be one telltale indicator of what hurricane gurus technically call “rapid intensification,” although a more evocative word might simply be “explosion.” Whatever you […]
- Maria Update September 20Here is the 9 AM AST position and intensity update on #Maria. pic.twitter.com/2b3PSk3xz4 — NHC Atlantic Ops (@NHC_Atlantic) September 20, 2017 #Maria has made landfall w/ 155 mph winds in Puerto Rico – first Cat 4 hurricane landfall in Puerto Rico since San Ciprian Hurricane of 1932 pic.twitter.com/83ofZea8bW — Philip Klotzbach (@philklotzbach) September 20, […]
- Sooner Than you Think: Energy Storage RevolutionUtility Dive: California is a leader in both renewable energy resources and energy storage. The state has one of the highest renewable portfolio standards in the U.S., mandating that 50% of all electric power be sourced from renewable resources by 2030, and the state has the first and some of the most robust incentives for […]
- Creating Europe’s Wind HubEurope working on giant wind energy hub in North Sea. Something similar overdue for US. Morning Consult: The long-anticipated Department of Energy electricity grid reliability study finally came out and addressed how to best ensure a reliable power source for American families and businesses. A few key insights from the report highlight that wind energy […]
- Hurricane Maria – September 19, TuesdayCNN 11 o’clock update Tim Pandajis tracking again, Heartbreaking statement from Roosevelt Skerrit, Prime Minister of Dominica:"We will need help, my friend, we will need help of all kinds." pic.twitter.com/7MVdedNbpL — Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus) September 19, 2017 Hurricane #Maria is believed to have transitioned from Cat 1 to Cat 5 in only 18 hours, gaining […]
- Hurricane Update for Monday, September 18 – Jose and MariaMeteorologist Tim Pandajis of Channel 13 in Richmond is a viral weather super-Geek for this hurricane season. A horrific forecast:NHC now expects #Maria to approach Dominica tonight as a Cat 4, and strengthen to near Cat 5 before landfall in USVI/PR pic.twitter.com/XKvGg14Sx4 — Eric Holthaus (@EricHolthaus) September 18, 2017 Filed under: Crock of the […]
- Neil deGrasse Tyson On Science Denial and the PressQuartz: It’s often said that of all the published scientific research on climate change, 97% of the papers conclude that global warming is real, problematic for the planet, and has been exacerbated by human activity. But what about those 3% of papers that reach contrary conclusions? Some skeptics have suggested that the authors of studies […]
- Energy Storage Shines in Storms, but Real Payoff comes Every DayIt’s called resilience. And it’s just one of the benefits of a distributed, renewable grid with storage. Coming to a state near you, sooner than you think. Guardian: n a paved expanse next to an electrical substation in Escondido, 30 miles north of downtown San Diego, sits a row of huge silver boxes. The site […]
- Line 5: Pipelines are Artifacts of the 20th CenturyJournalist Keith Schneider explains Michigan’s Line 5, and the economics of US pipelines. Detroit Free Press: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder and other top state officials on Wednesday called for Canadian oil transport giant Enbridge to immediately repair areas of lost protective coating on twin underwater oil pipelines in the Straits of Mackinac. “Protection of Michigan’s natural resources is of […]
The Friendly Atheist: Hemant Mehta, friendly and skeptical
- Proposed NM Science Standards Omit References to Evolution and Global WarmingBy teaching nonsense in science class, state officials are only setting kids up for failure.
- Priest Faces Backlash After His Book Encourages Solidarity with LGBTQ CatholicsHis book is in line with Catholic Church dogma, but that's still not good enough for some religious critics.
- Man Dresses Like KKK Member to Prove Evolution is RacistThe man insisted he's not racist. It's Darwin who's racist. Also: Planned Parenthood.
- Introducing Queer Disbelief, a Book About LGBTQ Rights and AtheismThis is an incredible book about an important topic from a wonderful writer.
- Safeguard Your “Aura” With Gwyneth Paltrow’s Psychic Vampire Repellent SprayIt only costs $30. And all of your brain cells.
- OK Gubernatorial Candidate: I’ll Ignore the Supreme Court and Abolish AbortionDan Fisher has a history of trying to punish women for taking control over their own bodies.
- Roy Moore: Shootings Happen Because “We’ve Taken God Out of Everything”This man may be the next U.S. senator from Alabama.
- Motivational Speaker Warns Students About “Forces” Removing God from SocietyWhy did administrators at this school let a speaker spread anti-atheist bigotry in a speech meant to empower students?
- Women In Tunisia Are Finally Allowed To Marry Non-Muslim MenThis isn’t just a win for Tunisian women; it’s a victory for people across the region.
- IL Man Gets $15,000 Plus Attorneys’ Fees After July 4 Arrest for Burning FlagThe Illinois law against flag desecration, while unenforceable, still remains on the books.
- Marriage Equality Opponents in Australia Have Embarrassingly Bad ArgumentsFormer tennis star (and current bigot) Margaret Court says if marriage equality is legalized in Australia, Easter and Christmas will be canceled.
- Journalist: I’m No Longer an Atheist Because I’m Not a “Negative Person”Sally Quinn's spiritual journey involves throwing a lot of atheists under the bus.
- Even Amazon Can’t Stop the Gayest Bible Ever WrittenThis Bible has the distinct advantage of being just as accurate as the original.It's MORE accurate, really, since Lord Rihanna actually exists.
- Five Christian Athletes Face Felony Charges After Allegedly Sodomizing StudentWheaton College punished the accused students by making them write eight-page essays about their bad behavior.
- Ask Richard: Atheist Faces Emotional Abuse from Hyper-Religious MotherShould the writer continue a religious charade just to keep the peace at home?
- Yes, Atheists Are Assisting with Hurricane Disaster ReliefAtheists help out of the goodness of our hearts.We don't all feel the need to broadcast our lack of religion in the process.
- Turkey is Teaching Students About Evolution and Darwin for the Last TimeEvolution will be eliminated from high school textbooks next year as a more religious regime takes control of what kids learn.
- Survey Says an Astonishing 72% of People in Scotland Are Not ReligiousNo matter the number, the trend is very clearly moving away from religion.
- Senate Hopeful Roy Moore: God Will Unite Us All, Even the “Reds and Yellows”We've seen what happens when evangelical Christians get access to power.Their God just makes everything worse.
- Christian “Prophetess” Blames Hurricane Damage on People Not Following Her LeadIf only more people had commanded the hurricane to get the hell out of Florida, everything would've been okay.
- Several SC Counties Paint Christian Crosses at the Sites of Fatal AccidentsThis action dishonors the memory of any accident victims who are not Christian.
- Ken Ham Doesn’t Think Homosexuality is a SinKen Ham blamed hurricanes on sin... but he denies ever linking hurricanes to homosexuality.That can only mean one thing.
- Christian Right Activists: Homosexuality is Unnatural Because Kids Find It IckyCiting the "ick factor" says more about these two activists than the kids they're maligning to advance their bigoted Christian agenda.
- A TX Church “Fired” a Hurricane Relief Volunteer for Being a Jewish LesbianWho's more Christlike? The 64-year-old Navy vet who wants to help the needy, or the pastor who thought she'd make his church look bad?
- Christian Man Sentenced to Death in Pakistan for Supposedly Insulting IslamThe victim's lawyer claims this is just revenge over an alleged affair.
Title image: Evolution of Religion, by Simon E. Davies.